COVID-19 Information Page
Welcome to our COVID response page. Below you’ll find all the critical information about how Frederick Douglass Academy VII is changing the way we operate to reduce the risk of COVID infection.
Any staff or student who will be learning ON SITE during the 2020-2021 school year is required to provide consent for COVID-19 testing. The consent forms are available in many languages.
All staff, scholars and visitors to the building must complete a MANDATORY Health Screening prior to entering the building each day. Scholars will need to login using their nycstudents.net account. Please follow the on-screen instructions to save the website to your homescreen as an app. student-covid-19-testing-consent-form---september-27-2020.pdf
We are doing everything we can to make sure staff, students, and families are safe.
Please check back regularly, as we will update the information here as conditions change.
Last updated: September 3, 2020
Hybrid Learning Plan
Frederick Douglass Academy VIII has chosen to operate on the NYC DOE's model #1 of hybrid learning. See details below.
Model 1: Alternating days with rotating Mondays, two in-person student groups
- In this model, there are two in-person student groups and one fully remote student group.
- Students will receive in-person learning for the same two days every week, as well as alternating Mondays. This amounts to a total of five days of in-person instruction every two weeks. Students will participate in remote learning for non-in person days
- Model 1 A: students receive in-person learning on every other day Tuesday through Friday, with groups alternating on Mondays. For schools able to accommodate at least 50% of their student population, this alternating day model is "Chancellor Recommended."
Students whose families choose fully remote learning will receive remote instruction every day.
Building Safety: Your Responsibilities in the School Building
We have put safety procedures in place to keep our students and staff healthy.
- Masks: Masks must be worn inside FDA VIII at all times by all adults and students. If your child is unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, you must contact Ms. Green immediately.
- Handwashing: Students and staff are expected to wash hands thoroughly before and after eating, after using the bathroom, if exposed to body fluids (like saliva or a sneeze), and at other times necessary throughout the day.
- Drop-off and pickup procedures: Please maintain social distancing between families during drop-off and pickup. Parents are not allowed to enter the building.
- Visiting our school: We are limiting visitors to the school during this time. Most parent-teacher conferences and other meetings can be held virtually. All visits must be pre-approved and scheduled with the office.
- Illness: Students and staff exhibiting signs of illness or having a fever of greater than 99.9°F must stay home. If you or someone you know has COVID-19 (or shows symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing or fever), it is required that you stay home or at a designated care facility for a minimum of 14 days. Please contact us via phone or email as soon as possible.
- Directions for local COVID testing: Please visit the NYS Coronavirus Find a Test Site page to find a test site closest to you.
How to Protect Yourself
We are proud to be a Verizon Innovative Learning School for the 2020-2021 School Year. All scholars will receive Internet-ready devices in October 2020 that are expected to be used in school and at home. More information to follow. Complete the MOU documents at www.tinyurl.com/fda8chromebooks to secure your device. Valid only for current scholars.
Remote Learning Expectations